This is a dotted kolam in 20 x 14 pattern. This took almost 3 hrs to make.
I saw this picture in Guruvayoor almost 20 yrs ago. I had been trying to make this into a freehand kolam and also a painting since long. Kolam materialised and I hope painting also will be done. This took me 5 hrs to make.
My Alpana style freehand kolam at the new floor done today. It is monsoon time here. Rain was playing hide and seek.
1. 4 Lines - The normal kuzhal which I use reguarly. Outer lines enhanced by freehand.
2. 8 Lines - Can be used for bigger designs.
3. 4 line one - Inner line enhanced.
4. 4 Line - The type we get in Chennai. No enhancement done.
5. Curly Type - Can be used for borders
6. Floral design - Can be used for borders
All these kuzhals are available in the shops near temples (eg. Kapaleeshwarar, Parthasarathy, Siva Vishnu etc.)
Thank God, it did not rain till I finished and took a picture of this kolam. Varuna bhagawan was waiting for me to complete this kolam !
What a coincidence. Meena's friend's kolam in the following
and mine look very similar. This I did in Pongal 2006.
This is my first alpana style kolam. Took almost 40 minutes.
This was done by my Mother-in-Law (Thangam aunty). Her hobby is making kolams almost the whole day (while watching serials also ! )