Dual themed Kolu by Srividya Nandhakumar
First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to wish all of you a ‘Happy Navarathri’. Our main Kolu is made of 7 steps. This carries dolls such as Lakshmi, Saraswathi, Ganesha, Radhey Krishna, Lakshmi Narashimar, Lakshmi Narayanar, Perumal-Thaayar, Pandurangan-Ragumayee, Ramar Set, Dasavatharam, Ashtalaklakshmi, Azhwars, Karthigai Pengal etc.
In addition to this we have a dual themed kolu this year- (i) 'Nectar of Thiruppavai' & (ii) Family Occasions.
(i). 'Nectar Of Thiruppavai' - The Tiruppavai is a collection of thirty stanzas (paasuram) in Tamil written by Andal, in praise of the Lord Perumal (Vishnu). I have selected only the important Paasurams. Here comes a brief description of them.
1. Periyazhwar finding Andal Near a Tulsi plant
2. Paasuram 1 – Grown up Andal waking up the girls to join her to obtain 'Pavai Nombu',
3. Paasuram 2 – 'Vaiyathu Vaazhveergaal' depicts Lord Vishnu sleeping in 'Parkadal' with Goddess Lakshmi.
4. Paasuram 3 – ‘Ongi Ulagalandha ‘ depicts the praise of 'Ulagalandha Perumal' (Thiruvikraman).
5. Paasuram 4 – ‘Aazhi Mazhai Kanna’– Aandaal asking Lord Krishna for heavy rain.
6. Paasuram 5 – ‘Maayanai Mannu Vada maindhanai’ depicts the scene in which Lord Krishna was tied to the “Ural”.
7. Paasuram 6 – ‘Pullum Silambinakaan’ depicts Lord Vishnu in Garuda Vahanam and man blowing conch.
8. Paasuram 16 – ‘Naayaganaai nindra Nandha Gopanudaiya’ - Girls requesting the door keeper to let them in.
9. Paasuram 19 – ‘Kuthu Vilakkeriya’ depicts Lord Krishna sleeping on the bosom of Nappinnai.
10. Paasuram 24 – ‘Andru ivvulagam Alandhaai’ depicts Krishna carrying Govardhana giri.
11. Paasuram 25 – ‘Oruthi Maganaai Pirandhu’ depicts Krishna’s birth at one place(As Devaki’s son) and transported to another and brought up as Yashodha’s son.
12. Paasuram 26 – ‘Koodaarai vellum seer Govindha’ – Gopikas serving sweet pongal to Lord Krishna.
13. Paasuram 30 – ‘Vanga kadal Kadaindha’ – Gopikas dancing with Lord Krishna after winning the parai.
14. Aandaal joining Rangamannar
Some of these dolls were handmade by me. Paintings which depicts Paasuram 1 'Margazhi Thingal', Paasuram 4 'Aazhi Mazhai Kanna', and Paasuram 16 'Naayaganaai Nindra' were all painted by me..
(ii) 'Family Occasions' - the theme 'Family Occasions' starts with a child's 'Naming Ceremony', followed by the 'Ayush Homam/Ear Piercing'', 'Upanayanam', 'Engagement', 'Wedding', 'Seemantham', 'Shastiapthapoorthi' and ends with 'Sathabhishekam''(This year's new addition). As some of these sets were not sold, I had to create them on my own. The cradle & the baby, Brahmobadesam in Upanayanam are few examples of my creation. These dolls were handmade by me.
I would also like to point out that the dressed up 'Aandaal' statue is made up of one piece. It took more than 2 hrs for me to drape the Saree for her.